Monday, March 23, 2009

Getting started with your brand on Twitter

A while ago, I started tweeting. Somewhat late to the game ... by Silicon Valley standards ... but way early by the standards of the rest of the normal, sentient world.

I wrestled my company's URL -- twitter.com/photobucket from some URL squatter (thanks to the kindly people at Twitter) and started poking around.

First, I simply searched for Photobucket. Wow. Lots of tweets. Then I searched for photo sharing. Then I searched for various competitors, and big brands to see what people were doing and saying. I reviewed the sites of my competitors, and of brands I admire, to see how they were handling their Twitter presence.

In the first two weeks I learned a ton. I started to get a feel for the language and environment. I started shyly following people. Hey, they started following me! It felt a little bit like opt-in stalking.

I started tweeting ... pointing to news about Photobucket, blog posts, or fun images that we found on the site. But it was all one way.

Feeling emboldened, I started to answer questions or respond to specific users who mentioned Photobucket. And not just those that said "*&^% Photobucket" -- one or two did for whatever reason -- but also those that said "I love Photobucket" or "Sitting here tweeting and uploading hundreds of pics to Photobucket." How did I respond? With a simple "Photobucket here. Thanks for using Photobucket! Let us know if we can help with anything."

Response? So far universally positive. "Hey, I just got a tweet from Photobucket. How cool." Or, "No I didn't really mean that, it's all ok. Thanks for the help!"

Having got a bit of a feel for the world, I drafted a delightful member of our customer service group to tag-team me. He answers the technical support questions. I answer the "F Photobucket" or "I Love Photobucket" comments. Every day I look at the list of searches and @messages.

Worthwhile. Really worthwhile. Jump in. Find out what people are saying about your brand. Learn the language, and get tweeting. Even if you only have 300 followers, you'll still learn something.

No comments: